A Sample Windows Sidebar Gadget
<span id="mySpan"></span>instead of the short one
<span id="mySpan" />. This problem seems to be specific for gadgets. The same code runs just fine in IE7.
- Localization. I haven't managed to get the localization to work at all. I suppose the engine uses the files from the locale directory corresponding to the current display language not the locale settings. This does make sense but with only English language available in Vista there's no way to check that the current file organization in my sample gadget is really okay. I kept it in the sample since I'm pretty convinced that it is.
- Deployment. If you double click a file with a
.gadgetextension in Vista, you will automatically start the gadget installation process. The file needs to be a
cabarchive containing the actual gadget directory structure. Vista behaves as if an application setup was started. This means that you should sign the file to increase the end user trust. You can use the Sign Tool to do that but in this case you need to make a
zipfiles can't be signed with it. I tried to make the
cabfile using a CAB Project template in Visual Studio 2005 but I couldn't make the correct directory structure. I ended up using Cabarc. After all, I only had to run the following line in the gadget directory to build the
cabarc –p –r N ..\HelloWorld.gadget *